Monday, October 6, 2014

The Show Must Go On

Despite the recent delay in the Rabbit Ears anthology, there will still be a poetry reading at the Cornelia Street Cafe in New York City on October 17th. Only now I'm on the list to read, in the third slot out of twenty-five poets. The cover charge will be $8, which includes a house drink. The cafe serves non-alcoholic beverages.

Despite having plunged into my poetry recently, to the exclusion of everything else, I still have a day job, which I have resumed. Right now I am waiting for an email from the web host that I need in order to continue, so it seems like a good time to blog.

The show must go on. Rain or shine. Happy, depressed or manic. Young or pushing 30. Sane or insane. Delayed or not. Accepted or not accepted.

It's at this point I'm reminded that I wrote a poem called "Anchor" earlier in the year, and I can't remember how it goes. Luckily I posted it on my Tumblr for just such an occasion. I know that I always lose hard disks, or personal websites. Tumblr's not going anywhere.

Anchor
Every morning I wake up naked
looking like a shaven simian
and I put on my clothes
and hair and face
the world, trying to be
the best dressed-up version
of the monkey I was when I started.
It's a Tumblr-worthy poem, for sure, now that I look at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment